Leading Positive Change
Leading positive change is an effective method for achieving long-term and permanent change that can become part of an organization’s culture (Whetten & Cameron). The five steps for positive change are:
- Establish a positive climate where the culture and environment reflect the founder’s values, treat people with respect and help people to develop and grow.
- Create readiness by establishing benchmarks and measuring actual performance against the benchmarks.
- Articulating a vision that reflects the founder’s purpose and values for creating the business.
- Generating commitment by providing timely, relevant information to all people so they can self-assess their performance in terms of the SME’s goals and objectives.
- Implementing the vision and creating sustained momentum by creating a workforce that believes in the vision, a workforce that receives information so they can make decisions, and a workforce that is self-motivated. This frees the owner from having to continually monitor staff in a managerial role to being able to focus on the future and grow the business in a leadership role.